Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Colour Block Table with Geese Stencil


Here's a little peak of a table top stencil I'm working on just now. Usually I try and leave the tops of pieces alone and work to preserve them {sanding, staining, sealing and waxing} but sometimes the wood is just not in good enough nick {deep gauges, stains etc} and is hard to restore to a good finish.


Take the large table I've been working on. It looked great...fantastic solid wood legs and a heavy wood top. Alas, on further inspection {peak underneath} it turns out the top is a veneered fiber board of some sort! Whats the problem you ask...well, if you want to sand the dings, wear and tear and poor stain job off the edging...you're left with a weird chippy fiber board texture. Not great.


Whilst I paint furniture, I mostly prefer to paint only the wood that can't be restored well {thin veneers with chips and bubbling etc}. So, in the case of the large dining table, rather than painting over the whole top surface because the edging is bad, I want to incorporate a design that allows as much as possible of the wood to show through. Right now, I'm puzzling over the best design.

In the meantime however, I'm using the stencil shown here to finish off the top of the wee block colour table I'm working on.



No comments:

Post a Comment